Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thank Heaven for Little ... Boards


I remember when I just started windsurfing in Florida, riding only boards 130L+, looking at the iWindsurf classifieds and thinking "who the hell uses all these little boards?" In Florida, you don't get a lot of chances to sail a board under 100 liters, so many people don't even own one. I figured out where all those little boards were from: California.

Yesterday I sailed at Candlestick on an 86 liter Fanatic Freewave that was lent to me by Sunset Sailboards, and a 4.1m sail that I borrowed from Hansen Sails. The gusts that were over 30 felt a little overpowered, but overall it was a good combination for me. The board felt totally great and in control. Would have been tough for me to have fun on the 104 today. The Hansen sails are pretty cool and unique. Instead of adding floppiness to the leech in order to make the sail handle gusts, they've sewn in some stretchy neoprene. When I rigged the sail, it looked way too full, but on the water I had no issues with the gusts. It works!

Famous vet Jason Voss was there ripping it up. He was a really cool guy...

On the plus side for me, I actually stayed dry on half-a-dozen jibes, so I guess I'm starting to get a little more relaxed with the conditions out here. It's a really freaking windy place!

3 comments:

PeconicPuffin said...

No kidding...introduce yourself to Voss and try a lesson with him (or a dozen). You have an extraordinary resource in him...take advantage of it! (Also learn to pronounce "nice" thusly:

"Noyce!")

Catapulting Aaron said...

Michael, Jason and I chatted for a few. I'm sure I'll get over to the delta one of these weekends to play. It's windy there... and a lot warmer, which is all someone needs to say to me...

James Douglass said...

Man, you're making me regret my upcoming move to big-board Florida before I've even left VA. Oh well. The boards may be bigger but I'm guessing the bikinis are smaller down south.