Wednesday, June 25, 2008

May the Stoke be with You!

Yesterday, I had an awesome 5.0 session at Marina Bay/Point Isabel/Brooks Island/Pelican Point/Guanotanamo Bay (named that for the excess bird excrement) or whatever you call that place. First drove up to Berkeley, where the wind died, then got the call that is was blowing 22 just 5 miles west. About 6 of us derigged and made the drive to Marina Bay and were treated with perfect 20-25mph conditions. Port and Starboard jumping chop as well as some smooth, flat spots. Really this is a spot with a little for something for every one. You can be powered up in a variety of different water conditions which makes it pretty unique.

Overall another awesome day. While I'm chopping wood on my jibes, I'm getting to sail around some pretty amazing freestylers doing their shakaflakamctwists. It's awesome to see up close and inspiring to see people doing so much more with the exact same conditions. I've gotta get me one of them head cams one of these days.

My jibe completion rate was around 50% and my tacks were about 75%. I'm pretty pleased with my progress, but I'm not planing out of anything. I noticed that I'm staring at my hands on the sail flip of my jibes, so I'm going to focus on my head next time I go out. I'm doing about half my waterstarts clew-first and that's definitely helping my sail flip, but it still needs a lot of work.

I'll do a write up on Point Isabel eventually. It's definitely an awesome spot... too bad it took me an hour to get there yesterday...

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Don't get me wrong, I do love this picture of you, but I would prefer to see pictures of you in the water

Photos of Point Isabel too please! You're slacking big time..

Paul Richardson said...

Maybe we should both get one of these.. .

Yeah, and that's a good look you have going there...